Sunday, February 15, 2015


The next day after my husband gets home from work we go directly to the doctors.  My in-laws also meet us there for the appointment.  I am wondering why I have to have an entourage of people accompany me to the doctor.  It was a surprise to see my in laws there and why I had to hire a babysitter when they were available. 

 

The nurse calls us all back to see the doctor and we follow her to a room.  The doctor enters the room and introduces herself to my family.  The doctor then proceeds to talk about me.  The doctor looks directly at me and said, “The biopsy came back and it shows that you have cancer.” Tears began to well up in my eyes and everything became blurry.  I was thinking I have cancer?   I am too young to have cancer.  I have two little boys and a family that need me.  I responded to the doctor,  “How do I get rid of it?”   She told me I would need treatment and she would refer me to an oncologist.  I then looked at my husband and my in-laws.  My mother in law was crying and I knew from this moment on all of our lives would change.  The doctor asked me if I had any more questions.    I said yes.  “Can my kids get this?”  The doctor said,” no it’s not hereditary.”  What kind of cancer is it I asked?  She said, “It was cancer of the lymph node in my neck.”  The doctor called it Hodgkin’s Lymphoma.  I said, “How did I get it?”  Her response was, “something in the air.”  I did not understand this response but my mother-in-law said, “She probably doesn’t know what caused it.”   Before we left the office my in laws gave me a hug.  I told them I would let them know about the appointment with the oncologist so they could attend. 

No comments:

Post a Comment