Tuesday, September 8, 2015

diet

My Photo

Since it has been hot this summer, I have been eating watermelon as well as eating the popsicles. They both really cool me off. I have been trying to eat better since my diagnosis. My husband and I grow a garden every summer. We have grown fresh peppers hot and sweet. We have also grown cucumbers, eggplant, zucchini, squash, tomatoes and herbs. If a recipe calls for basil or rosemary I just go out to my garden and pick what I need. We have not grown any fruit so I just go to the local farmers market and get berries and bananas.  I make smoothies with the fruit and veggies often. I have bought Kale at the market which I add to my smoothies. My husband and I like caesar salads we eat them with our dinner often. We did not grow green beans or carrots so I get them from the grocery store. I use garlic in most of my cooking. People who eat about a clove of garlic a day are less likely to develop various kinds of cancer. According to Everyday Health these cancers include the digestive organs like esophagus, stomach, and colon. Berries are another cancer fighting fruit that contain powerful antioxidants. The compounds in these berries can help keep cancer cells from growing or spreading. According to Every Day Health tomatoes may help protect men from prostate cancer.Tomatoes contain an effective antioxidant called lycopene. Your body absorbs lycopene better when it is in the form of sauce. Further reading of Everyday Health goes on to talk about the benefits from the antioxidants from green tea. The antioxidants in green or black tea are called catechins.  The catechins keep free radicals from damaging cells.  The article goes on to say that the catechins can shrink tumors and reduce tumor cell growth. Some studies have linked drinking tea to a lower risk of cancer.  I have been drinking green tea with honey and lemon for years in the mornings with my breakfast. According to the American Institute for Cancer Research, eating whole grains can lower your risk of cancer.  A large study proved that people who ate more whole grains might be at a lower risk for getting colorectal cancer. These whole grains would include oatmeal, barely, brown rice, and whole wheat bread and pasta.  Another cancer fighting agent I started using in my food is called Turmeric. Turmeric a spice known in India can be used to flavor foods. This orange colored spice contains curcumin. The American Cancer Society states that the ingredient has been known to slow the spread of cancer and shrink tumors in some animals. I like the taste of turmeric and I use it as a spice for meats. Another good source of antioxidants is beta-carotene and lutein. You can find these in vegetables like spinach and lettuce. They can also be found in vegetables that you cook like collard greens, mustard greens, and kale.  This next fruit I eat on occasion but I actually drink the liquid form more often. Wine which is good for your heart comes from grapes and both contain an antioxidant called resveratrol. The skin of the grapes is rich in 
resveratrol. The National Cancer Institute reports that resveratrol is useful in keeping cancer from beginning or spreading. Studies have shown that it limits the growth of many kinds of cancer cells.  Moderate amount of red wine have been linked to a lower risk of prostate cancer for men. Eating a diet rich in these foods is good for your overall health but has shown to be useful in the prevention and spreading of cancer.

No comments:

Post a Comment