Tuesday, September 22, 2015

My Photo
I called Bay Health and spoke to the women who referred me to the plastic surgeon I have now. I told her the new surgeons office was charging me co pays and that I didn’t think I should have to pay because its post op. She said, “You are seeing a new surgeon but let me call the office and see what I can do.” She would see if they would waive the fee for me.  I said, “Thank you that would be great.” She told me if I didn’t hear from her in a couple of days I should give her a call back. The last thing I needed was more bills so I was hopeful that she could take care of this for me. Even though I was insured through my husband’s company, I still had hospital bills after the insurance paid a percentage. I had been out of work because of the cancer and with the relapse I would not be able to return to work. I had applied for disability when I was diagnosed in December of two thousand and thirteen. I was denied twice and I had to obtain a lawyer to help me get a court date so a judge could hear my case and make a decision. With the recurrence of cancer I did not think I had to wait months for a hearing.  I had contacted my lawyer and made her aware of my recurrence. When there was nothing she could do I took matters into my own hands. I emailed a letter about my situation to our senator for our county. I received a response and he had someone contact me who sent me out a form so that I could get my hearing moved up. All I had to do was fill out the form and get a letter from my doctor stating that my cancer had spread and I would be getting more treatment. I did this right away and faxed it off to the number that was on the form. It was about a month later when I heard that based on the relapse my disability was approved. My lawyer had called to tell me the news and then I received a letter in the mail. I had asked my lawyer when I would start getting my payment. She told me she did not know how long it would take social security to process it. He guess was 3 months. I was so happy. I did not understand why I did not get it with my first cancer diagnosis but I would be getting now. Having this money would allow me to pay bills. I would no longer have to worry about not working for income.



No comments:

Post a Comment