Monday, April 6, 2015




Aside from my brother knowing, I had to tell my step dad. I wanted to make sure he would be able to convince my mom to go with me.  I wanted my mom to  be available to go and not back out on me.  When I got the call back from Oprha’s secretary she told me the time and day of the scheduled taping.  I told her I would have to check with my oncologist because I was supposed to start chemo that week.  I told her I would check with my doctor about my treatment and get back to her.  This was so exciting.  Oprah had answered my letter.  We would be on her show with an all-expenses paid trip.  I would be flying on a plain for the first time in my life.  I had never been to Chicago before either.  This was going to be a trip my mom and I would never forget. I just knew it.
During my oncology visit I found out that my bone marrow was normal.  There had been no evidence of cancer.  I was so relieved to find this out.  My oncologist said, “We can go ahead with the chemo treatment next week.”  I asked him if I could postpone my treatment because my mom and I were invited to be on the Oprah show.  He said he didn’t have a problem with doing this and I was to let him know when the show would air.  I was very thankful to him and he wished me a safe and fun trip. 
Since I had the go ahead, I called back Oprah’s secretary and said we can go.  She said, “I will get a call within the next two days with all the info we would need for the shuttle and flight service.”  I had to call my mom and tell her I got permission from the doctor to be on the show so we’d better back our bags.    My mom had insisted we go shopping so that we could have something new to wear on the show.  The next day my mom the boys and I went shopping at Sears.  We all picked out outfits and as we were paying for our order my mom told the cashier that we would be wearing these outfits on the Oprah show.    We told her when the show would air so she could watch us on t.v.


No comments:

Post a Comment