Monday, April 13, 2015


When I did get to read the article in the News Journal I was disappointed.  The article had a view of others who had been on talk shows that had negative experiences.  We had a great time on the Oprah show but the interviewer took something I said and displayed it as negative just like the others who were interviewed.  Even though the article was not what I had expected our picture turned out wonderful. 

I came down from cloud nine on the morning of my appointment with the oncologist.  He said to me that everyone in the office watched the show and enjoyed it. I told him some of the nurses had already congratulated me and called me a star.   I assumed on this visit I would be starting chemo but my doctor said he would like me to get a device called a portacath first.  He explained that instead of sticking me in the veins for my chemo that they could access the port.  He said I had good veins but that over time it would be harder to try to find different veins to use for each stick.  The operation to place the port would be done as an outpatient surgery and is quick and easy.  The port would be placed just under the skin.  The catheter connects the port to a vein so that chemo meds can be given.  Blood work can also be taken using the port.  I agreed with this approach and the office would schedule everything with a surgeon who puts the ports in.  I was told that once the port was in I could start getting chemo.  My next appointment at the office would be my first official chemo treatment. 

I had to go home and make arrangements to have someone watch my kids and then drive me to surgery for port placement.  My oldest was in preschool and I needed someone to pick him up after school was over.  I needed someone to keep my youngest son all day.  My mom had agreed to watch the kids and my father agreed to take me to get my port put in.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment