Wednesday, April 15, 2015


It was a Monday morning and I was scheduled to get chemo at my oncologist office.  My mom would be taking me.  She was going to sit in the waiting room while I had my treatment.  My mom was going to watch my younger son.  She had brought puzzles with her for my son to put together.  The puzzles were his favorite thing to play with.  He would just sit there quietly putting puzzles together with his grand mom.  I had to get blood work done before heading back to get chemo.  If the blood work was ok, I could get chemo.  The chemo meds I would be getting where classified as abvd.  I would receive them through an IV drip which would take about 2hours.  I would sit in a reclining chair with other patients who were getting chemo as well. There was a TV in the room for patients to watch. There were about four nurses who were there to administer chemo. The nurse would have me sit in a chair and take my vitals.  She then would clean the port and stick it with a needle.  Then she would give me anti-nausea med through an IV.  I would then get the four chemo meds administered through the IV.  The nurse explained everything she was doing.  She told me that if I needed anything I should ask.  I was told even though I had the anti-nausea I was told I could still get sick.  The nurse had said it would be about the third or fourth treatment in my hair would start to fall out.  The chemo would make me tired and I would need to rest often.  I had two kids; I had no time to rest. Since I would be getting treatment past lunch, I was offered to order lunch from the cafeteria. I was given a menu of items to check off that I wanted. My mom and my younger son went to the hospital cafeteria to have lunch. They offer breakfast to depending on how early your treatment is. I was feeling pretty good after getting my first chemo. I was glad when it was over and I could go back home to get my other son off the bus. My next chemo treatment would be in three weeks.  

No comments:

Post a Comment