Tuesday, April 28, 2015


There was no change with my second chemo treatment.  I had felt the same as before.  I was still throwing up and I was tired.  I just wanted to sleep all the time.   Just doing the little things took a lot of energy out of me. As the nurse was giving me my chemo, I started to feel a lump in my throat.  It felt like I had just swallowed a hard piece of candy by accident.  I asked the nurse if this was normal since it didn’t happen with the first treatment.  The nurse had said that chemo can cause heartburn and that’s what I might be feeling.  I had also felt sick to my stomach.  I had to get up and go to the bathroom which meant I had to carry my IV pole with me.  I began to throw up and I had hoped that none of the other patients heard me.  It was lunch time and everyone else was eating while I was losing my cookies.  I did not want to spoil anyone else’s lunch.  I had learned this day that cancer patients are understandable about chemo and the effects it can have on the body.  Chemo affects us all differently.  While some people were well enough to go to work, others like me went home to rest. 

I was feeling the same with every treatment and I seemed to have more bad days than good.  I had my third treatment by this time.  I was extremely fatigued.  I was still having trouble swallowing what little bit of foods or liquids I could keep down.  My sense of smell had been enhanced as well.  I smelled my neighbor’s perfume one day through the window as I lay on the couch.  She lived right next door and had been walking to her car to go out.  I had never smelled her perfume before and she wore it all the time. My taste buds were also enhanced.  My mom tried to give me ensure upon the doctors request because I lost some weight with the vomiting.  I could not drink it.  My mom said, “The people in the commercials drink it,” I said, “they are old they have no taste buds.”  My mom even put chocolate ice cream in it but it still did not cover up the taste.  The enhancing of my taste and smells just made me more prone to feel nauseas and induced vomiting.

No comments:

Post a Comment