Tuesday, April 14, 2015


My surgery for the port was being done at the doctor’s office.  I had to change into a gown and a nurse to my vitals.  I would be awake for the procedure but as long as I could not feel anything I was ok with that.  The doctor had me lay on the table and then he numbed the right side of my chest above my breast.  He made and incision and then placed the port underneath my skin.  He then stitched the incision back up.  I then went into the next room to get an x-ray of the port to make sure it was positioned correctly.  The x-ray showed that my port had a kink in the line.  Since my sutures where still fresh the doctor said, “I will go back in open the stitches and fix it.”  So back up on the table I went hoping he would fix it.  I went and had another x-ray only for it to reveal that it was still kinked.  The surgeon told me to go home and come back in a week for another x-ray.  He said, “The port should unkink itself.”  So, a week came and went and the port had not unkinked itself like the doctor had said.  I was referred to another surgeon at the hospital who would perform a procedure to pull the port from the bottom to take the kink out.  This whole port business was beginning to be more hassle than what it was worth.  I would have to make more arrangements with my children to have yet another procedure.  I hate what this cancer had been doing to my life.  This was not how I imagined spending my days seeing doctor after doctor and having procedure after procedure. 

When the day came to have my port fixed, I was in a surgical room of the hospital lying on a bed.  My father had accompanied me again while my mom watched the children.  I was greeted by a surgeon who explained the procedure.  He informed me that he would be using a hook type instrument that would go in through the left side of my inner thigh by my groin.  He assured me it would not hurt because he would be going through nerve endings.  He asked the nurse to give e me some medication to make me drowsy.  Ten minutes after I took the pill, the nurse asked if I was drowsy.  I said, “No I am wide awake.”  She then gave me another pill and I could feel the effects.  The doctor told me we could watch everything he was doing because it would be on the wall.  It was just like watching a projector a teacher uses in a classroom to show classwork on a screen.  The doctor was right I could not feel a thing.  I watched as he took this hook like on the end of a fishing rod and pull the end of the port tube down.  I even said to the doctor about how it looked like he was going fishing.  He just laughed.  Now my port was straight and in working order.  I know would finally be able to get chemo and be on my way to making this cancer disappear.

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment