Thursday, May 21, 2015

After we arrived home from our honeymoon, I began to feel sick.  I started throwing up. I was having stomach pain.  I thought I had a stomach bug.  I felt like this for a few days and then I was better.  I was collecting unemployment at the time so; I spent my days at home taking care of the house.   A few months went by and then one day I started to feel sick again.  This time I had stomach pain and vomiting that lasted for a week.  I felt better again after this.  I had decided to make an appointment with the doctor.  The doctor had told me it was probably irritable bowel and gave me a prescription for medication.  I felt good knowing that I would be getting relief.  I went home and took the meds as prescribed.  It was about a month after taking the meds that my symptoms came back.  I had went back to the doctor and told him the medication is not working.  He told me he’d like me to get an ultrasound and then come back for a follow up.  I had a tubal ligation after my second son was born. I knew I couldn’t have been pregnant.  My husband and I were both stumped we could not figure out what was going on with me.  During the follow up my doctor had said that the ultra sound was normal.  He told me to stay away from spicy foods and he prescribed me a different irritable bowel medication.  A few more months had gone by and I was feeling good.  I had no pain, nausea, or vomiting.  I had eliminated the spicy food and I was taking the new medicine the doctor gave me.  It seemed as I was getting better but two months later I was in pain and throwing up again.  I also had noticed that my stomach would bloat and I looked like I was 6 months pregnant.  I went back to the doctors who had sent me for an x- ray of my stomach.  I had to drink barium to coat my stomach before the x-ray.  Once again these results came back negative for any medical problems.  My doctor said he did not know what it could be.  He told me to keep a food diary of what I eat and when the symptoms come.  The food I was eating could be causing my symptoms so the journal could help.  I was keeping the journal but I still could not figure out what was causing my symptoms.  One night I had stomach pain so bad I ended up in the hospital.  The hospital did blood work and treated me for my symptoms.  The blood test came back fine. I still did not know what was causing me to be in so much pain.  I was sent home from the hospital with no answers.  A whole year and a half had gone by since my symptoms started.  I had a second trip to the hospital because of the pain.  It was at this emergency room visit that I would get the answers I was looking for.

No comments:

Post a Comment