Friday, May 22, 2015

I had been in extreme stomach pain when the emergency room doctor came in to see me.  I had told him about my symptoms that had started over a year ago.  He ordered blood work and an ex-ray with barium right away.  After the ex-ray, results were obtained the doctor came in and had told me he thought I had a blockage in my stomach.  The doctor said the barium I drank did not move it was stuck. It was possible I had a blockage in my stomach and he would need to call a surgeon in.  I was going to have to be admitted overnight.  I was not thrilled about having to have surgery at all.  The surgery would not happen till tomorrow when the surgeon would be available.  When the next morning came the doctor working the floor came in and introduced himself to me.  He was a gastroenterologist.  He asked me if I was having pain, vomiting, nausea, bloating and constipation. I said, “Yes do you know what I have?”  He said, “Yes I don’t think you have a blockage.”  He said he could do an endoscopy where they put a scope down your throat into your esophagus and stomach.  This would confirm what he thinks I have. I would be under general anesthesia for the procedure.  I asked what he would be looking for. The doctor told me he thinks I have something called gastro paresis. He says this means your stomach muscles are paralyzed.  He went on to say when you eat and the food hits the stomach it contracts.  Mine doesn’t so it will cause all the symptoms I was having.  The doctor also told me that an egg test was ordered but he did not think this test was necessary.  My doctor said, “If I had the egg test first as scheduled then the endoscopy all he would see is eggs.”  He told me the egg test was necessary because it would show us how long it will take food to digest.  He said that if the endoscopy confirms its gastorparesis we will work on how to treat it.

No comments:

Post a Comment