Thursday, May 28, 2015

The endoscopy confirmed that I had something called gastroparesis.  I had no idea what gastorparesis was.  I had the doctor explain it to me. He said, “When we eat, our stomach muscle contract to push food through.”  The doctor told me when I eat my stomach muscles don’t contract.   So the food I eat is taking longer to digest or might not digest at all.  He told me that there are very few treatments that work for GP. He then went on to say that doctors are aware of this condition but they don’t know how to treat it. He told me he would put me on a medication called erythromycin.  He said this can help stimulate my stomach muscles so that I could digest my food. I agreed to try the medicine.  My doctor told me that I should notice a change within two weeks of taking the medication.

I was on the medication and was not seeing a change in my condition.  During my follow up appointment with doctor, I told him the medicine was not working.  The doctor told me about another medicine that works but it was not FDA approved.  This medicine was called Domperidone. The only way I could get this medicine was to go online.  Since this medicine was not FDA approved it was not covered by insurance. I had to pay fifty dollars a month out of pocket to take the medicine. At first it seemed like the medicine was working but after several months, my symptoms started coming back.  I would feel full after just the tiniest bites of food. I would burp and regurgitate food back up into my throat.  I felt nauseas. I then went back to my doctor to find out what else I could do.  The doctor told me that no more options where available.  There was no way to cure my condition. I was not losing weight so a feeding tube was not an option yet. He told me to eat six small meals a day and drink lots of liquid. My doctor said liquids are easier to digests than solids.  

No comments:

Post a Comment