Monday, May 11, 2015

I was so happy to be getting my last chemo.  I was hopeful that the chemo killed all the cancer and it would not return.  I was feeling very weak from all the chemo that I had been given.  I had felt my weakest when we had went on a shopping trip to the store.  I was walking around the store when, I had to sit and take a break.  I had told my husband I could not go on.  We decided to go home and I called the doctor.  He told me to come in on Monday and have my blood checked.  I did just that and found out that my red count was very low.  I was scheduled to have two pints of blood put into me the very next day.  My father accompanied me while I sat there and received the blood.  The blood transfusion took all day.  I did feel one percent better after getting the blood.  I had color back in my face and my energy level increased.  I was scheduled for a six month follow up and blood work from my last chemo.  In the meantime I had been scheduled for a barium swallow.  Because I was having trouble swallowing during chemo I was referred to a gastroenterologist.  He wanted me to get a barium swallow to find out why food was getting stuck in my throat.  I had to swallow barium while they ex-rayed my throat then some crackers with water.  The last thing I had to swallow was a pill.  This was the hardest to swallow.  The test had revealed that my esophagus pulled to the left.  The ex-ray also showed scare tissue which my doctor said was probably from the radiation.  He put me on nexium to help.  I was told that besides taking the nexium there is nothing else that can be done.  I still have trouble swallowing every now and then.  I try to take my time when I eat and chew my food really well.   

No comments:

Post a Comment