Tuesday, June 2, 2015

mammogram

In October of two thousand and thirteen I had my yearly mammogram done at our local hospital. The female technician led me to the room with the machine for taking pictures of breast.  I had to take off my shirt and bra.  I was given Band-Aid strips to cover my nipples.  I then had to lift my right breast up onto a flat plastic plate with the help of the tech.  She then brought down another plastic plate slowly onto my breast.  This squishes your breast onto the plate and pulls your skin on the chest area.  A mammogram is uncomfortable but doesn’t last but a few seconds.  The same thing is done to the left breast. They get pictures of both breasts while you are facing forward then the tech changes the position of the plate and more pictures are taken.  The films are read at the hospital by a radiologist then he types up a report that is then sent to my doctor. I had gotten a call from my oncologist a few days later and he wanted me to have an MRI. He said, “The mammogram showed some spots which could be seen better with an MRI.” An order was faxed to the hospital and they called me to schedule an appointment.



No comments:

Post a Comment