Tuesday, June 30, 2015

It felt good to be home. I was greeted by my cat that came to sit next to me on the couch. The couch is where I sat and fell asleep that night. I had to prop myself up with pillows around me for comfort. The pillows helped ease the discomfort from the surgery and helped to keep my cat from jumping up on my chest. I was still in a great deal of pain. I had the tubes sticking out from each side of the sides where my breast used to be. I had to be careful with the drains to make sure nothing happened to them. The next few days were hard mentally.  I became depressed. My husband and son hung out with me and we played some board games. We watched some movies and played cards. They tried to keep my mind occupied. My son would put on Americas Funniest Videos to make me laugh. I said to my husband, “why wasn’t I depressed in the hospital?” He said, “Your body and mind were busy trying to recover and overcome pain so you had no time to be depressed.” This made sense to me. When I looked in the mirror It was a constant reminder that my breast where gone and I would be fighting cancer. I decided I needed to speak to someone who had gone through what I had. I contacted my aunt who is a breast cancer survivor. She told me to call the Delaware Breast Cancer Coalition. She told me they could put me in touch with someone who had been through the same thing as me. The Mentor Program matched me up with another survivor close to my age who had gone through the exact same surgery as me. After speaking with the mentor, I did not feel so all alone. I was able to talk to someone else who knew how I was feeling and what I had gone through. I was also prescribed depression medication at my follow up appointment with my primary care. Through the Delaware Breast Cancer Coalition I found a support group in my area for cancer survivors. It was great to be able to have these resources and people I could talk to. My family has been here for me but they cannot understand how I am feeling.






No comments:

Post a Comment