Thursday, August 13, 2015

Since being diagnosed with breast cancer, I was made aware of all kinds of information and programs for cancer patients. One thing I found out about was that a cancer support group meets every Tuesday in Dover at twelve thirty to two thirty. I joined the group so I could meet people like me who have had and or are going through breast cancer. The group is mainly made up of women. One man attends regularly and he is the husband of one of the women who was diagnosed with breast cancer. Her husband is a cancer survivor himself. There is about ten of us in the group. We have a facilitator who works in the health care field. In the group we talk about our cancer and what is going on with us currently. We give each other advice and learn from each other. One woman attends because she was a caregiver for her husband who passed away from cancer. She is full of knowledge and insight as a caregiver. She also supports other women in the group by taking them to their appointments, providing meals and helping them cope with the cancer. I have been going now for two years. I have become to know each and every one of these strong women who may not have the same cancer as me but are fighting the same battle. The group has been very helpful and encouraging. I have been able to get through my treatments with the help of them. One woman I met at the group has been an inspiration.   She fought hard and stayed tuff with a positive attitude and sense of humor. With a diagnosis and spread of ovarian cancer the doctors gave her six months to live. With treatment after treatment and trying new meds to stop her cancer from the spread she survived 2 years before she passed away. She is sadly missed and the cancer center support group will be hanging up a plaque in her honor. 

No comments:

Post a Comment