Monday, August 31, 2015

thoracic surgery continued

My Photo
A nurse called my name and we followed her back to the pre operation department. She led me to a numbered space with a bed and a curtain. The department was pretty full that morning with other patients going in for surgery.  My family waited outside of the curtain while I changed into the gown. When I finished they sat beside me as a nurse came in to ask me questions about my medications and the last time I had anything to eat or drink. A nurse came in to stick me with a needle for an IV. She found a good vein but then it disappeared or blew because she had to stick me again. I think it went into hiding just like I wish I could do right now. This always seems to happen to me in the hospital when they are putting in an IV.  When I get blood work done this never happens. Luckily the second time was a charm. The IV was following and I sat there talking to my family waiting for the anesthesiologist to come in and talk to me.  After the drug doctor introduced himself he asked me some questions.  He said, “If I ask you to lift your arms would you be able too. I said, “Would this be before or after you drug me.”  I thought that was funny but he didn’t laugh. I raised my arms and he just went on with a serious disposition and asked more questions. He explained what knock out drug I would be getting the surgeon appeared. He marked the spot to be operated on with a marker. The nurses who would be in the operating room with me would be there. The one nurse told me not to worry because they had slept at a holiday in the night before. I had said, “Finally someone with a sense of humor.” I told her what I had said to the drug doctor and she laughed. I had a cap that was given to me that I had to put on my head prior to surgery. My husband had to get a picture of me in it even though I refused.  The nurse told my family they could go back to the room we were waiting in that morning. She told them the television in that room shows my name and what part of the operation process I am in. She said, “When the operation is over the surgeon will come out and talk to you and once she is in recovery you will be notified to come back.”  Everyone gave me hugs and kisses and then it was off I went. On the way a calming drug was put into my IV. I must say after this happened I don’t remember anything and when I awoke I was back in a numbered room with my family staring at me.


No comments:

Post a Comment