Monday, March 9, 2015


Before my first radiation was administered I had to go see a dentist.  My doctor had told me that the radiation can damage my teeth.  I told him I had no dental insurance.  He said that the Wilmington Hospital has a dental clinic and you pay based on your income.  I was given the number to call and make an appointment.  When I called to make the appointment I was told it would be a six month wait.  I had to have my doctor’s office call them because I was getting radiation and I needed an appointment right away.  I had an appointment for the very next day.  I had a regular mouth exam with x- rays of my teeth.  The clinic used dental students and my dentist had been fresh out of college.  He was handsome, tall and had blue eyes and blonde hair.  He was the opposite of the radiation tech who was shorter, had dark hair and brown eyes.  Even though I was happily married, it was nice to have some eye candy to look at it.  The dentist, who made me want to blush every time he spoke, said I had four wisdom teeth and if they are not bothering me they won’t need to be pulled.  He said because I am going through radiation, I would need to do fluoride treatments on my teeth.  I would have to get a mold made of my teeth. I would then put fluoride into the mold and wear twice a day for at least fifteen minutes.  I would be using the fluoride to strengthen my teeth during and a year after radiation therapy. 

No comments:

Post a Comment