Tuesday, July 7, 2015

Before I get implants I have to have my skin of my breast area stretched out. The tissue expanders I had put in get filled up by a syringe with saline by the plastic surgeon. I go once a week and have my tissue expander filled. This is not fun and causes pain and pressure to the breast area. I take a pain med that was prescribed to me before I go for the fills. I can feel the tissue expander harden and fill up. On days when I had my fills I slept on the couch surrounded by pillows. It was more comfortable for me to sleep on the couch. The plastic surgeon said he would need to overfill to fit my implants in. I had about 600 cc of fluid go into each tissue expander. I was scheduled to have my port put in  on the right side just above my tissue expander. The surgeon who removed my breast was going to be putting in my port. This was an outpatient procedure and I was scheduled for the early morning surgery. I did not get home until dinner time that night. I had to stay a little longer to be monitored for a collapsed lung I developed during the surgery. I had to wait a few more hours then get an ex-ray which did not show the collapsed lungs. I finally got to go home to rest and recover. The next week I had to get another fill of my tissue expanders. When the plastic surgeon asked me to look in the mirror I noticed the right expander was smaller than the left. He took a look and said, "Your right." He told me it could be leaking and he would need to go back in and fix it. He said, "Sometimes these things happen or when they put your port in they could have hit it." He told me that he would continue to fill the left tissue expander for now. He said, When we put the left implant in I will go ahead and fix the right tissue expander." He would then continue with the fills. So for months I would have one implant and one tissue expander. He told me to start thinking about the size of the breast I want. It was hard because the size would not be in cup size but rather volume of the silicone implant. I went home and held up my bras to my chest to see if I was getting close to the size I was before. I went online and looked at other women with my body type and weight, who had implants after breast cancer to get an idea of size. I didn't want to be too big or go too small either. The size was very hard to determine and I became frustrated on not knowing how big to go. 

1 comment: