Monday, July 27, 2015


My PhotoI was evaluated by a physical therapist that specialized in lymphedema of the arm. Based on his evaluation of my arm he told me I would need to be treated. He told me I should come in three days a week for about 2 hours each time.  During my appointment he would give me a massage of the lymph system of my legs, stomach, neck, and arms. We would have lengthy conversations about the lymph system and other things like family and my cancer history. The first hour was for massage and the second hour I spent with my left arm in a compression machine. My arm was in the machine for forty five minutes.  I asked the therapist if there was a way to treat the lymphedema. He told me I could get the fluid removed but that it would just come back. He fit me for a compression sleeve and compression glove I could wear at home. He ordered a compression machine for my arm that I could use at home. He told me that lymphedema is an ongoing issue I will have it for the rest of my life. I He said, “If you use the machine and the sleeve at home you should be able to keep the fluid down in my arm.”  If the lymphedema keeps coming back I would need more therapy. I was scheduled to see him for three times a week for four more weeks. He would then reevaluate me to see if I need any more therapy. 

No comments:

Post a Comment