Wednesday, July 29, 2015

My Photo
That weekend I realized how hard it was to just have the use of one hand. The wrap was itchy and sweaty. It was on tight to my skin so I had no room to with my fingers to scratch an itch. I could not make my jewelry. I just used this time to relax and not do anything that would involve using both of my hands. Monday morning I went in for physical therapy. The wrap came off and my left arm was the same size as the right. My arm looked normal again the way it should be. The therapist was right the mummy wrap worked. He told me we will do massage and the machine and he would give me a compression sleeve to wear. He would like to wrap it again but he was going to wait a week. My compression sleeve he ordered was not in yet so he gave me one. The one he gave me was a sample one he had gotten from a company called lymphadiva. He told me they sell compression garments and I could find them online. The temporary sleeve had tattoos all over it. When I had it on I looked like I had a tattoo sleeve. It was a tad to big so the therapist wasn’t sure if it would help. I would have to wear the sleeve all day or I could wear it all night when I sleep. I could choose to wear it day and night if I wanted to. The first time I wore it out my husband and I were eating at a restaurant I had him take a picture. From afar it didn’t look like a sleeve but just a bunch of tattoos. I sent the picture he took to my mom via text. I got a txt back from her asking what I had done. She said, “Tell me they are not real.”  I said, “No it’s my new compression sleeve for my lymphedema.” She was relieved. It wasn’t until my therapy sessions were just about to end that I had received my own compression sleeve and machine. I had gotten a call from a gentleman of the company where my sleeve and machine was ordered. He wanted to deliver the sleeve and machine to my house. The day he arrived he showed me how to use the sleeve and the machine. He had me use the machine while he was there to see if it had been working properly.  He left me with a video tape and some books with information about the equipment. The sleeve had Velcro going all the way up so I could fasten it snug to my arm. The other sleeve I had just fit over my arm like a stocking. I have to use the machine every day for about forty five minutes. I usually use while I am watching television. A couple of time I used it while lying in bed before I go to sleep. The sleeve and machine has helped me to manage my lymphedema. My arm still does swell with fluid but I was told it will do that. I might need more therapy from time to time. Since there is no cure, the sleeve, machine, and physical therapy would be the only way to manage the fluid and swelling from the lymphedema.

No comments:

Post a Comment