Friday, July 10, 2015

The morning of my chemo treatment my husband gets the laptop. Since it would be a long day we figured we could watch a movie to pass the time. When I arrive at the office I was called back by a nurse who led me to the room where the chemo is given. There were chairs on either side and televisions hung on each side facing the chairs. I had to sit in a chair by the nurses’ station so they could draw blood from my port. The results from the blood work take about twenty minutes to get after it’s drawn. I have to wait and if the blood work comes back fine I can get the chemo. The nurse gave me two different anti-nausea medicines through my port before chemo is administered. The chemo is ordered while the anti-nausea medicines are being administered. There were other patients getting their chemo treatments at the same time I was. On most chemo days it seemed to get pretty busy and I had a chance to meet other patients. . Since I would be getting my chemo through lunch a volunteer came around with a lunch menu. I could order from the choices of food from the menu. The volunteer would go get the food for the patients from the cafeteria. The one volunteer I had met that day was a breast cancer survivor herself.  All the volunteers I have met there are very nice. They come around and offer you water, soda, crackers or cookies. I had a volunteer come in and offer to give me a hand massage. I wasn’t about to pass that up.  I was not feeling that hungry because of my gastroparesis but I picked something to eat anyway. I figured I would need my strength after getting chemo. Because I have the gastroparesis the chemo filled my stomach up and it was starting to feel full and hurt. My husband went to the cafeteria to get lunch for himself. We ate lunch while finishing up our movie. I had arrived there that morning about eight thirty. It was three thirty by the time I was finished getting my chemo treatment. I was tired. I went home and took a nap. I would have to go back tomorrow at three thirty to get a shot for my white count.


No comments:

Post a Comment