Tuesday, July 14, 2015

I was still tired from the chemo and I was getting hot flashes every ten minutes on a daily basis. I hadn’t had my period since my diagnosis in December two thousand and thirteen. I was told by other cancer fighters and by reading cancer books that chemo can put you in permanent or temporary menopause. Well that explained the hot flashes and night sweats. I was getting night sweats and would have to change my pajamas throughout the night. My bed and clothes would be soaked. I have turned our air conditioner up because of the hot flashes. I have found that a hand held fan and eating Popsicle help. I had asked the oncologist if I could take hormones that my gynecologist prescribed to deal with the symptoms but he told me not to. He had said that even though my cancer was not hormone driven he suggest I do not take them. So in the mean time I deal with the hot flashes until I can find a save and approved by the doctor alternative. It is not just the hot flashes but I have also had issues with vaginal dryness. I noticed this when my husband and I tried to make love one night. We used lube but it still hurt. That’s why I went to the gynecologist and he prescribed me hormones. He told me when you go through menopause your vaginal tissues become thin. He said the hormones would help with this and the hot flashes. I was already taking Selexa for depression so he increased my dosage because this medication can help with hot flashes as well.  I will be looking into alternatives because I still have symptoms. 

No comments:

Post a Comment